Wednesday, February 10, 2010

MCX Free Canopy Replacement

The Blade MCX is a tough little heli. My Nephew's is beginning to look like a combat chopper that has been pieced back together and sent back out to do battle again.

One part I thought would be the last to need replacing was the canopy. WRONG! While I've taught my 8 year old nephew to be careful, avoid blade strikes, stay away from the sink full of water and the dog bowl. One warning I failed to give him, was not to step on it as you're running to retrieve it from an emergency landing.

Not only did the canopy take a hit, but a canopy mounting arm on the main frame broke off. In order to replace the main frame you basically have to disassemble the entire heli. To avoid this seemingly tedious task I tried a dab of epoxy and a finely crafted tooth pick to make a repair. It worked, but not the best looking modification.

Last week I decided to make more permanent repairs. I was sure I could find more suitable replacements for the Scotch tape and toothpicks that were holding his bird together. So off to the local hobby shop I went. The frame was no problem, $4.99, but we hit a stumbling block with the canopy. No stock and no idea when inventory would be replenished.

Not one to give up easily, I decided to design a template that I could use to make a paper canopies with. The attached photo shows the results of my efforts. I think this is a good beginning and Here is a PDF file of the template for anyone that want to make their own . You can create a plain white version as shown by printing out the template onto 80# card stock or you could use photo print paper. Cut the canopy shape out with scissors or a xacto knife and glue the tabs on the bottom. The end of the xacto works well for punching the canopy mounting holes, just put the point in the center and rotate it like a drill bit. If also included a template so you can make a matching tail fin.

If your the artistic type, feel free to use the template as the basis for your custom canopy by jazzing it up in Photoshop. Good luck and as my dad used to say, "fly low and slow."

No comments:

Post a Comment